Saturday, June 16, 2007

Coke and Milk

By Joel Gunz
Originally appeared in "New Food Reviews" on McSweeney's Internet Tendency


Shirley drank this when she was depressed. Or was it Laverne? Pour one part Coke into half a glass of milk. Stir lightly and watch the puffy white cumulus clouds of milk deliquesce into a beige ready-to-drink nimbus. Enjoy. I haven't thought of Coke and milk for years, and then my friend Aimee got to talking about that movie Best in Show, which has the guy who played Lenny from Laverne & Shirley in it, which made me think, "I should pour myself an ice-cold glass of Coke and milk." I remember liking the concoction, and being at an age when I took pleasure in eating (or drinking) foods that other people thought were weird. I think the age was 13. It tasted like cream soda, except that the "cream" was 2 percent milk, and the "soda" was Coke. Sort of a motherly hug of milk followed by a fatherly smack of Classic (before they called it that) Coke.